13 June 2012

more than a feeling



"I remember this city being so much bigger."
"Well, you were so much smaller back then."

It's true. The first time I visited Boston I was 10 years old. I grew up in rural Maine, and at that point in my life it was by far the biggest city I had ever seen. It seemed massive and a bit overwhelming. I couldn't even begin to fathom what a city like Los Angeles or New York was like.

And here I am, back in Boston nearly two decades later. I've lived in the Los Angeles area, and I've visited New York. I've also been to San Diego, Orlando, Tokyo, and Sydney. They are all much bigger than Boston, a city that is much more impressive in my mind than in reality.

Not that Boston isn't a lovely city. At least, I'm sure it can be. The locals were ruder than I expected. The subway a little more confusing than need be. But it does have it's charms: the Freedom Trail is a nice way to spend the day, and see most of the city. Fenway Park may be older than most stadiums, but you get so caught up in the excitement of the game that you hardly notice. Little Italy is a great place to grab lunch.

So cheers to Boston. You might not be the biggest or friendliest, but you are uniquely New England and uniquely yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment