31 May 2012

a cheeseburger in paradise


"I think I like this better than In-N-Out," my fiance said. He was barely three bites into his Shake Shack cheeseburger, and he was already spouting blasphemy.

Australia is lacking in the burger department (unless we make them ourselves; though, our local fish 'n chips shop has a good contender). Five Guys left us a bit disappointed (too much hype; meh fries). We've been advised to avoid White Castle (done). But Shake Shack... sooooo goooood!

I love the burgers. I love the fries-- plain or slathered in cheese. I love the shakes. We've been in New York only three full days and have already gone twice. We've joked about going again this week. At least, I think we were both joking.

Yet I just can't proclaim them to be my favorite burger. Yes, they are excellent, but they don't have In-N-Out's classic spread/special sauce. It's the best food substance in the world. I always dip my fries in it, and have gone so far as to save packets of it for home-burger nights. And speaking of fries, Shake Shack's crinkle fries are excellent, but I'll always be partial to shoe strings.

Sorry, Shake Shack. You are delightful, but In-N-Out is still what a hamburger's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment